Years ago I came up with this deliciously satisfying meat-free recipe. I made it recently when Mom was staying with me, a favorite of hers.
Until 2020, I used a Boboli (or any pre-baked pizza crust) as the base making a full size pizza. Cooking for one inspired me to make flat-bread style pizzas using mini naan or pita bread; I love that they’re a perfect meal size for my appetite. The topping keeps well for up to two weeks so I can easily bake one for a lite lunch or dinner – and occasionally as a savory breakfast!
White Spinach Pizza – makes 1 large or 2 medium pizzas or 8-10 flatbreads
- 8 oz frozen, chopped spinach – drained, liquid squeezed out
- 24 oz ricotta (NOT fat-free)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 c shredded parmesan
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t coarse black pepper
- shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- chopped peppers – a mix or red, yellow and orange
- chopped red onion or shallot
- mini naan, pita bread or pre-baked pizza crust
- red pepper flakes – optional
Set the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the first 6 ingredients, set aside. Brush the crust with olive oil and place in an oven safe pan. (I use my cast iron skillet) Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, then remove it, flip the crust and spread on the spinach ricotta mixture, then add the peppers and onion followed by the shredded cheese and red pepper flakes. Bake for another 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted. Let it cool for a few minutes and enjoy!