Here are my Top Ten Things I love about Aruba:
- US Currency is accepted in addition to the Aruba Florin. Prices are posted in both currencies, even slot machines and bill breakers in casinos use US Currency. It’s easy!
- They drive on the proper side of the road – this is great if you’re renting a car as we did. And for once, I did all the driving (usually Spence drives) and it was very easy to get around. Even with the round-abouts.
- The people are friendly! Known as One Happy Island, Aruba has the most delightful people. We didn’t encounter one person who wasn’t smiling. I suppose if you live in paradise there’s a reason to be happy every day.
- The sunsets are stunning. (as are the sunrises) Don’t take my word for it, here’s proof:
5. The water is safe to drink – and tastes good. Considering that Aruba is a small island, surrounded by salt water, that’s an accomplishment. It’s great not to worry about safety and the resulting dysentery that can come from visiting places where the water is questionable.
6. The beaches are pristine – white sugar sand and at least where we stayed, that sand extended into the water which was easy on the feet!
7. The color of the water is beyond description. Dependent upon the time of day, depth and cloud cover, it spans every shade of teal, turquoise, cobalt and everything in between.
8. Upon leaving Aruba, Customs and Immigration for both Aruba and the US are handled at their airport. Though it’s slightly confusing, we got through it with time to spare.
9. There’s so much to do. Whether you are into water sports, beach time, casinos, tours, hiking or dining, Aruba has it. And speaking of dining, fresh seafood is plentiful.
10. The weather. With an average rainfall of less than 20 inches a year, an average daytime temperature of 82° Fahrenheit (27° Celsius), a location completely outside the hurricane belt, and the constant cooling influence of the trade winds, Aruba is one of the most temperate islands in the Caribbean. The difference between median day and night temperatures, and between summer and winter temperatures, is just 3.6°. The rainfall occurs mainly in short showers during November and December.