- Sleep in
- Build fire
- Light fire
- Make tea, light candles, snuggle cats
- Have breakfast of leftover goodies from Christmas Eve party
- Open gifts while listening to Christmas music
- Watch Christmas Story paused three times for family/friend holiday calls.
- Prep for Traditional Cheese Fondue ( see recipe on blog, keyword: fondue )
Eat fondue, drink Prosecco and toast……still in pj’s…..
- Watch Christmas Vacation by a roaring fire, replete with Color Cones….
Life is good!
Thirty-third thing: Spence builds a great, roaring fire and this, our first of the season makes me so happy. Before leaving for Aruba, we had wood delivered and our chimney swept. As the temperature has dropped with two nights below freezing, tonight was the night to break it in.
The smell of our fireplace on a cold damp night used to be so welcoming after long days at work. Spence, retired for years, would have the fire set about 30 minutes before I returned home, a glass of wine poured and candles lit. After parking in our unattached garage, coming up the sidewalk and inhaling the aroma of burning wood filled me with anticipation and gratitude for a relaxing evening with my guy and our cats, Tipper and Biscotti.
Since retiring, it isn’t uncommon for us to get up on a wintry day with no need to go out into the bitter cold. Those days, we start a fire late morning and keep it blazing all day as we watch the swirling snow.
So many happy memories spent in our cozy little home enjoying the fireplace. It had to make the list of my 59 Candles, 59 Things.
This series, 59 Candles, 59 Things is my way to commemorate my 59th birthday earlier this year by sharing things that make me happy. I’d love it if you’d check out more of this series, under Categories, click 59 Things.